In this episode, find 20+ emotive teen piano repertoire picks that appeal to older or adult students, complete with play-through demos.
Teen and adult students require extra repertoire planning, because you’re not often teaching from a method book, but finding specific pieces that appeal to their unique tastes. They often gravitate toward darker, moodier, rich, chordal-based music with repetitive lines.
We’ll look at themes from movies and popular new-age style composers, from Yiruma to Einaudi, in this episode, (and save you some time playing through them all yourself!)
Join the the preeminent professional development, learning and networking community for instrumental music teachers.
Transcript of the show about emotive repertoire for teens
If you’d like to download a PDF transcript of this episode, please click below.
In this episode, you’ll hear our 20+ emotive teen repertoire picks
- All of Me – Piano Guys
- Comptine d’un autre ete – Amelie theme
- Cristofori’s Dream – David Lanz
- Forrest Gump theme (in Piano for Leisure series book)
- Glasgow theme from Love, Actually
- Kiss the Rain, and A River Flows in You – Yiruma
- Primavera – Einaudi
- Gymnopedie no. 1 – Satie
- Le Onde “The Waves” – Ludovico Einaudi
- Nuvole Bianche “The Clouds” – from Insidious – Einaudi
- Schindler’s List theme
- Song for Guy – Elton John
- The Heart Asks Pleasure First and Big My Secret – Michael Nyman from The Piano
- American Beauty theme – John Williams
- St. Elmo’s Fire theme
- Summer of ’42 theme
- Tubular Bells from The Exorcist
- Metamorphosis works – Philip Glass
- Chariots of Fire theme
- In My Place; Atlas; Fix You – Coldplay
Thank you for tuning in!
I encourage you to implement the ideas from this podcast by writing several actionable steps for your teaching practice, if it’s inspired you.
And if you enjoyed today’s show, please leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, which helps other teachers find our show. I do read every single one review personally, too!
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live.