Mary created a full studio in under six months. Hear how she did it! You’ll learn about growing your students and finding extra time for creative work in this episode.
Mary Chalaby joined Tim on the show to discuss how she achieved significant growth in her Brisbane studio within the first 6 months of establishing it.
She also tells us how joining Piano Pivot Live and TopMusicPro has helped boost her confidence in running the business from the start, helping her find encouragement and space to create.
In this conversation we’ll find out how she managed to make her business thrive and grow from zero to 30 students in record time, even during a pandemic!
Join the the preeminent professional development, learning and networking community for instrumental music teachers.
Piano Pivot Live virtual tickets are now available on a very special offer for 50% off, giving you six months access to the full HD conference recordings with all the speakers and conference handouts.
You’ll enjoy on-demand access to our virtual PPL lounge through Jan 23, 2021.
Enter special offer code PIVOT50 for $64.50US promo rate ($129 retail value) at PianoPivotLive.com
Transcript of the Show
If you’d like to download a PDF transcript of this episode, please click below.
In this episode, you’ll get tips on growing your students:
- [02:12] A quick introduction on Mary and her musical background.
- [04:25] Mary shares her great first lesson experience.
- [06:29] The story behind her video performances of playing beautiful hymns and musical arrangements.
- [08:44] Her teaching background and how she started her business.
- [09:39] The catalyst for starting her own music studio.
- [11:34] The evolution of her business since she started in January 2020.
- [13:02] Mary tells us more about her experience at the Piano Pivot Live Conference.
- [14:01] How she uses the TopMusicPro membership for personal and business development.
- [18:01] Creating her own curriculum for teaching her students.
- [19:04] The benefits that Mary has gained since joining TopMusicPro.
- [20:02] Her view on Joining subscriptions and justifying the costs that come with it.
- [21:32] Improvements in her studio since attending Piano Pivot Live and joining TopMusicPro.
- [24:01] Mary’s goals for her studio.
- [25:02] The process of rebranding her studio.
- [26:27] Her progress and plans on creating her own curriculum.
- [28:42] Mary shares her future plans for expanding and growing her studio.
- [30:00] The biggest scare she had after starting her business.
- [30:38] AHA moments she has had in the last 8 months that have made a big difference in her studio.
- [33:08] Advice for teachers who are thinking about joining TopMusicPro.
About our Guest
Mary Chalaby is a pianist, teacher, music arranger and event manager. She has a passion for sharing her love of creative and high-quality music-making with her community, both through teaching and performing. Her studio, Koala Keys Music School, is located in Brisbane, Australia.
- Explore TopMusicPro
- Access the PianoPivotLive conference (on-demand)
- Mary Chalaby Music Facebook
- Koala Keys Music School Facebook
Thank you for tuning in to learn about growing your students!
In conclusion, there are a lot of podcasts you could be tuning into today, and I’m grateful that you’ve chosen mine. Whether you’re at the gym, on the bike or in the car, I know that you and your students will get lots out of what you learn in the long run.
Just make sure you try out some of the ideas before they get lost in the business of your next lessons!
If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it by using the social media buttons on the left of the page.
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes or on my Facebook page. Reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to show’s ranking and you can bet that I read every single one of them personally.
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live.