Our guests today are Eik Mar and James Laughlin, founders of Sproutbeat, which has full-colour digital theory worksheets and games you can use on a tablet for teaching – without any printing or storing messy papers!
Whether you teach online or offline, Sproutbeat’s worksheets and games will truly benefit you and your student.
In this episode, Eik and James share the beginnings of Sproutbeat and how it evolved to where it is today. We also talk about Sproutbeat – what it is, how it works, the benefits of using the product, and so much more.
Transcript of the Show
If you’d like to download a PDF transcript of this episode, please click below.
In this episode, you’ll learn how to add some fun into teaching music theory online – or in-studio!
- [04:29] A little background on Eik and James.
- [05:20] Developing an app idea for music theory online
- [06:11] Eik’s current studio.
- [06:42] Working together as husband and wife.
- [08:01] What is Sproutbeat?
- [08:41] Resources available on the platform that work for online and in-person lessons.
- [09:26] How students submit their work to teachers on Sproutbeat.
- [10:42] The story behind the name Sproutbeat.
- [14:01] Main pain point or struggle that teachers have that SproutBeat can solve.
- [15:20] How the app can increase kids’ desire to want to learn.
- [17:04] Organizing files inside Sproutbeat for easier access.
- [19:32] Accessing the app through different gadgets.
- [20:56] How the platform looks and works.
- [23:05] Upcoming features of the new version of Sproutbeat.
- [25:51] Integrating Sproutbeat on your iPad and Zoom for teaching students.
- [27:19] Top tips for teachers doing theory or using games.
- [29:00] Sproutbeat plans, payments and marketing strategies.
- [32:13] Special discount for listeners – 25% coupon code!
Links Mentioned for
About our Guests
Eik Mar, Sproutbeat co-founder, is a classically trained pianist, author and music educator who has been teaching small children to play the piano for about 20 years. She’s always believed that if she could make music education more engaging for her students, they would learn faster and retain more information, thus, providing the inspiration for SproutBeat.
James Laughlin is co-founder of SproutBeat and a web developer and entrepreneur. He’s a people person who is constantly developing new ideas for online services to make life easier and bring people together.
Thank you for tuning in!
In conclusion, there are a lot of podcasts you could be tuning into today, and I’m grateful that you’ve chosen mine. Whether you’re at the gym, on the bike or in the car, I know that you and your students will get lots out of what you learn in the long run.
Just make sure you try out some of the ideas before they get lost in the business of your next lessons!
If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it by using the social media buttons on the left of the page.
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes or on my Facebook page. Reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to show’s ranking and you can bet that I read every single one of them personally.
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live.