Today we’ll explore learning piano technique at tonebase from the top musical minds.
Many of us wish we could think about music the way concert artists do, but few have the time or connections to make it a reality.
Perhaps you’re a competent musician but you don’t know what else to add to polish your repertoire. Or, you’re teaching advancing students and are unsure how to coach them beyond correcting notes, rhythms, and simple phrasing.
In this show, we talk to Ben Laude, head of piano at tonebase.co, which is a new learning platform designed to connect you with the world’s foremost artists and pedagogues. You can learn piano technique at tonebase from the likes of Leon Fleisher, Garrick Ohlsson, Simone Dinnerstein, and more.
We’ll look at the unique learning possibilities of the platform and discuss the masterclasses, artist roster, technology, and more. We’re also going to announce some very exciting news! Listen in to find out.
Transcript of the Show
If you’d like to download a PDF transcript of this episode, please click below.
In this episode, you’ll learn about piano technique at tonebase
- [03:39] Ben’s musical background
- [05:25] Loving classical music at a young age.
- [07:37] The piano teacher who taught and inspired him as a teenager.
- [10:12] The goals of tonebase.
- [11:44] Ben’s interesting journey on working for tonebase.
- [13:03] The evolution of Ben’s role at tonebase.
- [14:30] 3 top things Tim loves about tonebase.
- [16:02] Types of classes available for tonebase members.
- [21:14] Learning from the Masterclasses on tonebase.
- [29:09] The right and wrong way of teaching technique to your students.
- [31:37] Ben shares his 3 favorite stories on working with masters in the industry.
- [36:18] His wishlist of brilliant musicians to include at tonebase.
- [40:34] An overview of tonebase’s awesome features.
- [42:35] TopMusicPro and tonebase: why it’s a complementary match.
- [47:29] How tonebase can help improve your own skills and practice.
About our Guest
Ben Laude is the Head of Piano at tonebase.co. He is a concert pianist, music educator, and producer. Laude holds a DMA in Piano Performance from the Juilliard School, where he served as a Music Theory Fellow. He has also held faculty positions at Bard College-Conservatory and the Suzuki School for Strings. An experienced public educator, Laude has presented for the New York-based Music Talks series, and served as artistic director for the concert-lecture series Piano Evenings with David Dubal.
tonebase is an online education platform that gives you access to the world’s leading classical musicians. With our library of 400+ video tutorials, you can unlock the insights of GRAMMY award-winning players, international competition winners, and pedagogues from top music schools like Juilliard and Yale. Whether you’re just starting out and looking to learn foundational techniques or ready to take on the most advanced concepts and pieces, there’s something for every passionate musician on tonebase. Find the knowledge and inspiration you need to take your playing to the next level!
Thank you for tuning in!
In conclusion, there are a lot of podcasts you could be tuning into today, and I’m grateful that you’ve chosen mine. Whether you’re at the gym, on the bike or in the car, I know that you and your students will get lots out of what you learn in the long run.
Just make sure you try out some of the ideas before they get lost in the business of your next lessons!
If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it by using the social media buttons on the left of the page.
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes or on my Facebook page. Reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to show’s ranking and you can bet that I read every single one of them personally.
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live.