How many trips have you missed because you had lessons to teach? In this podcast episode, I have with me the queen of all things online teaching, Carly Walton. You’ll learn how she teaches online while travelling the world, without the dreaded makeup lessons.
I really admire her passion to help teachers overcome their fear of technology; and you’ll definitely feel that, too, in our conversation as she talks about her experience.
We talked about so much online teaching goodness that I can almost guarantee you’ll have an idea of how to set up your online classes after listening to this podcast. Carly shares her effective and creative online teaching techniques, methods, apps, and tech stack that make piano teaching easily doable even outside your home.
Transcript of the Show
If you’d like to download a PDF transcript of this episode, please click below.
In this episode, you’ll learn how Carly teaches online while travelling the world, without missing a beat:
- [03:06] Creating resources that help teachers teach online.
- [04:47] The benefits of online teaching.
- [06:35] Tips for travelling and teaching piano at the same time.
- [09:43] Recorded video lessons versus live teaching.
- [10:15] Should you offer make-up lessons?
- [11:52] What she loves about Tonara.
- [13:19] Her current students’ ages and abilities.
- [14:43] The travel and at home tech stack she uses.
- [16:46] Using Internet Midi to improve your teaching and play duets.
- [18:45] Key points in improving sound quality for online classes.
- [21:41] Online teaching experiences of teachers in her community.
- [23:58] Adapting to the new way of teaching.
- [24:53] Teachers continuing their online classes after the COVID-19 pandemic.
- [25:53] Things we can improve in our online teaching.
- [27:33] Ideas for off-bench activities for online lessons.
- [28:59] Using apps for teaching.
- [30:03] Teaching theory to students.
- [31:33] Her favourite methods or approach she uses online.
- [33:25] Carly’s comprehensive online teaching course.
- [37:54] Top tips to get started with online lessons today.
Special Promo Mentioned:
Amazing news for TopCast listeners– Carly has decided to extend her “pay what you can” special offer for her online teaching course for a limited time! Please visit her website here to check out the details.
Resources & Apps in this Episode
- XKey Air
- Classroom Maestro
- Music Flash Class
- Tenuto App
- Fundamentals of Piano Theory Books on Amazon
- Piano Adventures
- Carol Matz Interactive Piano Method
About Our Guest
Carly Walton is a Berklee College of Music graduate, and online teacher, performer, and world traveller. She has taught music at K-8 schools and been a choral instructor for two charter schools. Carly also enjoys arranging music for piano students and choirs.
Carly has been teaching music online for the last eight years and one year ago started her Teach Music Online course and coaching program. She has a passion for helping teachers overcome their fear of technology and find ways to be creative and effective as online music teachers. She has a thriving Facebook group with more than 5,000 music teachers where she hosts free training workshops and resources.
Thank you for tuning in!
In conclusion, there are a lot of podcasts you could be tuning into today, and I’m grateful that you’ve chosen mine. Whether you’re at the gym, on the bike or in the car, I know that you and your students will get lots out of what you learn in the long run.
Just make sure you try out some of the ideas before they get lost in the business of your next lessons!
If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it by using the social media buttons on the left of the page.
Also, kindly consider taking the 60-seconds it takes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes or on my Facebook page. Reviews are extremely helpful when it comes to show’s ranking and you can bet that I read every single one of them personally.
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live.