One of the great joys of having a blog is that it allows you to spread the word about the amazing music, resources, software and books that you find and use in your studio.
In the case of this article, it’s all about the outstanding music of Australian composer/teacher, Geri Rea, which I’m proud to publish for the first time on my blog.
Geri’s music will instantly appeal to late beginner/early intermediate students who are ready to work in predominantly five-finger patterns in a variety of keys and styles. It’s perfect for teachers looking for more repertoire for things like the 40 piece challenge or even as 1-week pieces for higher-level students.
Does this sound like you?
- You have lots of books for late beginners/early intermediate students but only ever use a couple of pieces from them and find they just aren’t value for money in your studio.
- You’re looking for music that reinforces scale and arpeggio patterns without sounding boring.
- You want your students to have lots of quick wins by learning lots of pieces quickly, in a huge variety of styles.
- You want to get your students to eat their greens without even knowing!?
If so, then you must check out these books.
Fun and accessible sheet music
I first met Geri at an Alfred piano teachers’ conference in Melbourne way back around 2010 and we instantly hit it off. At the time, she’d written only one book but has since completed three fantastic compilations of music that are now available from her website at Piano for Schools.
Geri’s music is fun, accessible and students love it.
In fact, I wrote an article and recorded a video about it way back in 2010: 10 of the best piano pieces for boys by Geri Rea. While this article is all about music for boys, I can confirm that her music has appeal to both genders and for just about any age.
I’m using one of her books, World in Harmony, as a resource of quick-learn pieces for my ABRSM Grade 5 student, to improve his sight reading and knowledge of different styles.
It’s brilliant!! Not only is he quickly learning a variety of pieces, his Mum is loving all the different sounds from around the world and trying to guess which country the piece is from.
What’s so special about this music?
- Pattern based: All Geri’s music is designed for students. It’s heavily pattern-based without sounding repetitive or boring. It helps students cement their knowledge of scale, chord and arpeggio patterns in the context of creating music.
- Studio licensed: All Geri’s music is studio licensed meaning that you can purchase and download once and then use forever in your studio as much as you want with students (see below for more).
- Short and Fun: My kids love playing this music. The pieces are all 1 page long so they are accessible, they follow a simple form and structure so kids can get a handle on them quickly and they are imaginative (in both title and content).
Here are just a few examples from these books.
Who’s Geri Rea anyway?
Geri Rea’s music is as appealing for students as it is pedagogically-sound for teachers. Boys and girls alike will love Geri’s pieces as they all have a story to tell and they are great fun to play. Explore dynamics, articulations, form and style through her three collections of pieces perfectly suited to late beginner and early intermediate students.
Spanning over three decades, Geri’s experience and expertise lie in establishing sound technique and learning principles for primary aged children. In addition to teaching her own four children, Geri is employed in the Early Childhood Music Program at Newcastle Conservatorium, runs music workshops for teachers and has 70 piano students in her private practice.
Geri loves to nurture the beginning of a lifelong enjoyment of music for young children, providing creative repertoire through which confidence can be built and musical talent developed.
Studio Licensing means that you can download, copy and use any sheet that you purchase from dev.topmusic.co for any of your students in your studio, for life. That means that if you want to use one of the pieces with 10 of your students, you only need to pay for one copy and you have permission to reprint it for all 10 (or more) students.
Legally, this would read:
You are permitted to use the purchased digital materials with any number of your own students as an individual teacher; this license may not be shared with any other teachers in the same studio or different studios.
This is a huge advantage to teachers:
- No need to worry about breaking copyright when you want to use a piece for more than one student
- Save money – you’re only charged once for each piece or book
- Build a library of music you know and love and use it throughout your studio
Find out more about Studio Licensing here.
Buy Geri’s Music Now
Geri’s music is available on the TopMusicMarketplace right now.
Click here to view and download “Surfing, Sailing and Sprinting – Piano Music for Adventurous Kids” now.
You can also browse her other books and those of our many sellers, all in one place.
I do hope you’ll check out this music. I know your students are going to love it and you’ll enjoy teaching it and adding it to your regular repertoire selection for your students.
Remember, I never promote products unless I use them myself and know that they will be a great fit for your studio.
Let me know if you have any questions by leaving a comment below.
Where can I purchase it?
When you become a member of my Inner Circle Community, you get free access to Surfing, Sailing and Sprinting with a full studio licence.
How can I find this download from Geri Rea. I would love to have this music for my students. I became a member last week. Thank you for your help.
Hi Pam. Look in the resource library and find the tab for sheet music or just search for “sheet music” or “Geri Rea” 🙂 Let me know if you can’t find it.