Our guest today, Paul Myatt, Director at Forte School of Music, shares his journey from being a regular piano teacher to being a coach and helping other teachers around the world. He talks about the importance of professional and personal development and why learning new things is always important. He shared the whole body learning approach that they use in Forte School of Music and how their approach differs from other music schools. Paul also shared some great tips that music teachers can do to improve in their teaching and business knowledge, along with sharing some of his own mistakes along the way.
- Paul shared a brief overview on how he started from being a regular piano teacher to coaching and helping other teachers around the world.
- How he started to build his own brand and setting up Forte School of Music.
- Setting the right expectations with parents and nurturing a long-term relationship with them.
- The WOW factor of Forte School of Music and how it differs from other music schools.
- Paul talks about the whole body learning approach.
- How Paul expanded his business operation to include licensees all around Australia, New Zealand and United Kingdom.
- The importance of goal setting, mindset training and success principles and how to implement it.
- How do you transfer success principles into your students and younger learners?
- The value of professional development and always learning new things.
- The benefits and value of group lessons for students.
- Some tips on how to overcome objections to the group lesson program.
- Three things that music teachers can do to improve in their teaching and business knowledge.
- Paul shared some of the mistakes and learning opportunities he made along the way.
- One final piece of wisdom from Paul.
Guitar Teaching Resources Mentioned
Successful Australian businessman, Paul Myatt, is also well known for his ability to teach and educate all levels and abilities in a diverse range of skills from music to swimming. His eclectic range of skills include teaching, coaching, writing, speaking, performing and singing. Paul is a founding Director of Forte School of Music, an unique and highly successful music education network with over 4,000 students in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
Paul’s greatest passion is encouraging life-long music making through music education and the positive effect this has on people’s lives. Scientific research continues to demonstrate through neurological studies that learning music has a long lasting and positive effect on the brain and brain development. The brain is on of the most exciting and almost completely unknown organs of the human body. Research suggests that learning music develops brain capacity enhancing spatial awareness, speech perception and the ability to simultaneously handle multiple tasks.
Thank you for tuning in!
Consider implementing the ideas from this podcast by writing several actionable steps for your teaching practice if it’s inspired you.
If you enjoyed today’s show, please leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, which helps other teachers find our show.
Stay updated by subscribing to this show, and get automatic delivery to your device every time a new episode goes live! We publish on Fridays weekly.