From the early beginnings of Kidzrock, Dave Simon has been well-known in the guitar teaching and online music teaching social media circles. In this episode, he tells us about his personal experiences and journey that led him to create this very successful guitar music program for kids. In particular, we discuss how his own experiences helped shape his vision and goals for Kidzrock, how he built it, expanded it, and the most important things you need to know to help you grow your own business just like he did.
- Dave shares more about his story, building his school and his music education licensing business.
- Learning more about his program, Kidzrock, and what makes it special.
- Advice for people who are hesitant to teach kids.
- Tips for guiding your studio teachers to teach the way you want them to.
- The importance of learning improvisation for students.
- Dave tells us the process of learning under the Kidzrock program.
- He shares one story about a student who has stuck with him for a number of years.
- His hopes and goals for teaching Kidzrock.
- The expansion of Kidzrock across the globe.
- The story of why and how he sold his school.
- The importance of understanding the business side of things as music teachers.
- Tips for marketing and growing your small business.
- Book recommendations from Dave.
- The integral part that communication music and our lives.
- One final piece of wisdom for guitar and music teachers.
- This Is Marketing by Seth Godin
- Made to Stick by Chip and Dan Heath
- Marketing Made Simple by Donald Miller
- Zig Ziglar Books
- Dave Simon’s Website
- Dave Simon’s Music Enterprise Facebook Page
- Dave Simon’s Music Enterprise Instagram
Guitar Teaching Resources Mentioned
Dave Simon licenses his group music classes Kidzrock/Jr. Rockerz, and Piano Jam to educators worldwide. His programs allow complete beginners to experience the ultimate musical thrill – learning and performing music in an ensemble. Dave ran and operated a music school for 17 years in St. Louis Missouri where he developed a passion for marketing. He is also the host of the business growth podcast, Music Lessons and Marketing.
Musicnotes for Education
Teachers and students everywhere deserve a sheet music experience that impresses, and that’s precisely what you get from Musicnotes.com, the largest online retailer of quality sheet music!
Musicnotes has built a special Pro membership exclusively for teachers and students. With Musicnotes Pro for Education, teachers and students will get exclusive discounts on every sheet music purchase and in-app benefits to keep their sheet music library organized and at their fingertips so they can play anywhere – all without a membership fee.
Teachers and students can apply for a free Pro for Education membership today and bring the benefits of Musicnotes to every lesson!
Join free today at musicnotes.com/pro.
P.S an exclusive for our Top Music listeners, Musicnotes are offering 25% off e-Gift cards for a limited time! Visit musicnotes.com/topmusic to claim this exclusive offer!
Thank you for tuning in!
Consider implementing the ideas from this podcast by writing several actionable steps for your teaching practice if it’s inspired you.
If you enjoyed today’s show, please leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, which helps other teachers find our show.
Stay updated by subscribing to this show, and get automatic delivery to your device every time a new episode goes live! We publish on Fridays weekly.