Australian Guitar Royalty Michael Dolce shares his experience in playing for The Voice Australia. Listen to this episode as he shares the various jobs he has had, the lessons he took, the important people who helped and taught him along the way, to why he continues to practice playing everyday. We have so much lessons to learn from his journey and you’ll get that all in this episode.
- Michael shares his experience in playing for The Voice Australia.
- The story of how he made his way to become a session guitar player.
- He shares the various jobs he had, guitar lessons he took, and the people who’ve helped him in his journey.
- Michael shares why he continues to practice playing his guitar everyday.
- The importance of maintaining healthy relationships with the people you work with.
- The biggest hurdle in his journey.
- Biggest lesson he has learned at The Voice.
- His future plans beyond The Voice.
- Tips for working with brands.
- Gear he recommends.
- 10 important things aspiring guitar players should know if they had the ambitions of being a professional player or semi-professional hobby player enthusiast.
- The most important lesson he has learned in his journey.
- Advice he would give to the younger version of himself.
Guitar Teaching Resources Mentioned
Michael Dolce was heavily influenced by his dad, strumming and singing Italian folk songs and the odd country tune of guitar at the age of six. At 15, he left school to pursue a trade as a cabinet maker. But he still retained his passion for guitar by playing with local cover bands. At the age of 20, Michael decided to give up his trade to pursue his dream of becoming a full-time guitarist.
An opportunity arose in 1991 when local singer songwriter Hugh Wilson appeared on the popular television show ‘Starsearch’ and won the series. Hugh and manager Glenn Wheatley approached Michael to join him in his band. This led to an amazing nine months of recording of three singles, an album, recording film clips and extensive touring. Over the next 30 years, Michael further established himself with a solid career as a session guitarist by playing and recording for many Top 10 National and International artists. His playing credits today include the TV show The Voice (Australia), Delta Goodrem, Keith Urban, Lionel Richie, Seal, Roachford, Mica Paris and more.
Musicnotes for Education
Musicnotes has built a special Pro membership exclusively for teachers and students. With Musicnotes Pro for Education, teachers and students will get exclusive discounts on every sheet music purchase and in-app benefits to keep their sheet music library organized and at their fingertips so they can play anywhere – all without a membership fee.
Teachers and students can apply for a free Pro for Education membership today and bring the benefits of Musicnotes to every lesson!
Join free today at musicnotes.com/pro.
P.S an exclusive for our Top Music listeners, Musicnotes are offering 25% off e-Gift cards for a limited time! Visit musicnotes.com/topmusic to claim this exclusive offer!
Thank you for tuning in!
Consider implementing the ideas from this podcast by writing several actionable steps for your teaching practice if it’s inspired you.
If you enjoyed today’s show, please leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, which helps other teachers find our show.
Stay updated by subscribing to this show, and get automatic delivery to your device every time a new episode goes live! We publish on Fridays weekly.